Math is Fun Too!
Skippyjon Jones Shape Up by Judy Schachner
Who says math has to be hard? Skippyjon, a silly cat who wants to be a chihuahua, teaches us all about shapes as he tries to stay in shape. Skippyjon can be seen doing the salsa on a square, running in a circle, and even orbiting around an oval! You will even see Skippyjon tap dance, balance, and fly around other shapes.
This silly seven page book can be a cool and fun way to introduce shapes to students; specifically preschool to kindergarten. This is a great book to teach young students about different types of shapes. Teachers can definitely use this book at a beginning of a lesson on shapes. This book is both engaging and also simple enough for kids to read on their own and visually see the different shapes in a book.

I love cats so I automatically liked this book. I think it does a great job teaching students about shapes without having it be boring. I like how you said this book would be great to introduce shapes to students who are in preschool and kindergarten and I could definitely see preschoolers loving this book. Students would get a lot out of this book and they would enjoy reading it oo which is important! Great blog post.
ReplyDeleteGreat job! I feel like this book is engaging for young students because they are very active just as the cat in the book! This book provides various ways to think about shapes and also shows them on the pages what they look like. This could be a great introduction to shapes for students. :)
ReplyDelete